Thursday, May 28, 2015

Bird Brain Joins the Gang





“Hey, Cor. Mind if I hang with you and your boys awhile?”
“Get lost bird brain, this is an exclusive club.”
“Awww, man, have a little compassion for a lonely fellow. It's hard not to have a flock.”
Cor’s friends squawked in derision but only Cor replied. "Murder, bird brain. We're a murder."
“Look. I'm not trying to bring down your image. I'll do whatever you want. I just want to be part of the gang.”
“Whatever I want? Okay, bird brain, here's what I want, go play in traffic!”
“Really?”
“Yeah, absolutely. Think of it as an initiation.”
“An initiation? Alright, I’ll do it.”
“I bet you won’t. You're too chicken.” Cor strutted a few steps.
"Hey, bird brain,” someone jeered from the back of the group. “Why did the chicken cross the road?" The comment was followed by a chorus of cackles.
“I’m not a chicken, I’ll do it.”
“You have to do it at rush hour, bird brain, when all four of those lanes are busy.”
“Okay.”
“And you have to be on foot, no cheating. That’s a hard and fast rule.”
They didn't have long to wait. When the traffic was heaviest, he hopped to the edge of the highway and began to run.
Drivers honked and cussed, but he didn't notice. He just ran. Everyone who witnessed his sprint across the road agreed that they’d never seen a crow run so fast before. His skinny bird legs were a blur.





No comments:

Post a Comment