Monday, August 12, 2013

Save The Date

Happily Selling Magic All Around


So, I’ve three book signings under my belt and Hearthside Books and the Juneau Arts & CultureCenter (JACC) now carry paperback copies of Magic All Around.  I’m ever so grateful for their help getting word out to the community about my novel, Magic All Around!
I’ve also begun learning a bit about selling my book in person.  Here are my four major discoveries thus far:
1.     I LOVE selling/signing my books in person!  I’m an introvert so this took me by surprise but it’s a blast!  I’m exhausted and need a lot of solitary time afterwards but I have so much fun with this part that the exhaustion is more than worth it.  Upon consideration, my love of public speaking and unabashed passion for microphones (yeah, I’m silly but I do really, really, really like speaking into a microphone) should have been a hint that I would enjoy hand-selling my book.
2.     I’m selling a lot more books in person than I am on-line.  Perhaps I’m better at selling in person?  My take-away from this revelation is that I’m missing something with my on-line marketing AND that I need to capitalize on my strengths.  I haven’t figured out what I’m missing on-line, though the wise and witty @SuSmithJosephy (a.k.a. Susan Smith-Jospehy) has suggested a Twitter elevator pitch.  I’ll be working on that this week! 
3.     There’s a knack to knowing which potential customers to engage.  So far, I’ve figured out that people who rubber-neck books are potential buyers/readers.  I get a huge kick out of seeing folks rubber-neck my book and I’ve noticed that it’s usually these folks who will stop walking and chat with me if I make the first move.  I’ve been making the first move A LOT, by the way.  My advice to anyone out there trying to sell your book is to grin and greet.  That’s my new mantra.  
4.     Before my first signing at Hearthside, I read that having one or more give-away items is important.  I took heed and wrote a short story that is not part of the Magic All Around storyline, but reflects much of the style in that it is set in Juneau at Sandy Beach, there’s a dog and there’s magic.  This has proven to be a very good move and I’ve had several people purchase the paperback based on their appreciation of the short story.
Where am I headed after considering all these bits of information?  Well, first, I know that I need to do a better job of posting on this blog at least once a week.  I’ll be striving to do that while juggling other projects.  In order to lighten my blog post load and to share this platform with some of my terrific friends, I am seeking guest bloggers!  I am specifically seeking guest posts that relate to one or more of the following topics
·        Staying positive and seeking happiness
·        Dogs
·        Magical stories
·        Alaska/Love of place
If you have an idea for a guest post, please send me an e-mail or a message through Twitter, Facebook or G+.

I’ve also decided that I need a deadline.  I will be releasing Magic Within, Book II of my Magic All Around series on Sunday, November 17th!  The digital and paperback formats will become available simultaneously (or nearly so) just in time for the upcoming holiday season! 
To top off my public proclamation of a deadline and book release date, I’ve reserved a booth (in the JACC or annex) for Juneau’s annual Public Market- Christmas Gift Expo!  Gulp.  I’ll be there signing and selling Magic All Around and Magic Within and will be delighted to inscribe gift copies for you!

By the way, if you haven’t seen it yet, check out my book trailer for Magic All Around.  I’m delighted with it and hope it’ll enchant you.

Magic All Around is available in digital and paperback formats from Amazon and can be special ordered for purchase at most brick and mortar bookstores.

May your day and week be joyful!

No comments:

Post a Comment