Monday, September 16, 2013

What is it like to write a book? 7 Answers



Hi Friends! 
This will be another short post from me because I am still hoarding most of my words for Magic Within.  I am delighted with how the novel is progressing and, by my estimate; I am back on track for a November 17, 2013 release. 
Aside from writing, there is little noteworthy happening in my life at present.  That’s because I’m in front of my computer anywhere from six to eleven hours each day.  Writing.
What is it like, this sitting about and writing a book thing? 

What is it like to write a book?  7 Answers

1. It’s emotional.  Everything I put my characters through, I feel.  Every nuance.  Half the time, I act out the dialogue, action and emotion in order to write it realistically.  If you had a hidden camera aimed at my kitchen table, you’d have quite a show.
2. It’s absorbing.  When I’m this deeply involved in telling a story, I don’t want to think about anything else.  It’s hard for me to concentrate on reading and the only conversation I’m able to have is one that involves me talking about what I’m writing.  Usually a good listener and fair conversationalist, when I’m in the midst of writing, I develop a one-track mind.
3. It’s exhausting.  For me, at least, writing requires intense focus, self-discipline and creative thinking.  It wears my brain out.  Not only that, I really do run out of words.  If you try to converse with me towards the end of the day, you’ll have the peculiar experience of having to carry most of the conversation without me.  Dale jokes that a long day of writing makes me brain dead.  I like to tell him that I'm his zombie-wife. 
4. It’s grungy.  Let me put it this way, everyone should be grateful that I’m showering and brushing my teeth.  Grooming, cosmetics and fancy clothes have never been a huge priority for me, but when I’m writing, my biggest fashion statement is cleaning my glasses.
5. It’s thirsty work.  I don’t know why, but writing makes me thirsty.  Some folks fuel their writing with coffee and/or alcohol but I cannot write without a big bottle of water.
6. It’s a ropes course.  Trust-building, teamwork and unorthodox solutions are happening in my brain when I’m writing a book.  I wouldn’t be able to do this if I didn’t trust my subconscious to bail me out of whatever plot pinches I manage to write myself into.  Luckily for me, it always does. 
7. It’s exhilarating.  No matter how much I plan and plot, my subconscious loves to throw surprise parties for me.  The best part of writing is the thrill of discovering what happens next!


May you have a magical Monday and a joyful week!

Magic All Around is available in digital and paperback formats from Amazon and can be special ordered for purchase at most brick and mortar bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment